Saturday, January 14, 2017

Interview with amazing author/illustrator, Virginia Wright




"Thank you so much for inviting me on your blog, Deanie. I feel honored to be your guest author.  Big Bear Hugs, –Virginia
 How long have you been an author? In 1981, when I sold my first writing to a regional publication Washington County Magazine, is when I consider myself first published. After that, while raising my children, I would write and then tuck away my writings, thinking that one day I might get back to writing. Then it wasn’t until after my mother died in 2007 when I was going through her cedar chest, and I found a yellowed envelope with coffee stains on it that I opened up and inside were old manuscripts that I had given my mother to hold onto. I started writing again as a method of healing the loss of my mum.
I'm glad you found that envelope, Virginia and so are your readers and fans. You're a gifted author and illustrator.
Is it something you always dreamed about? Yes, being a writer is always something I wanted to do, ever since being a young girl I put words to paper. I can remember sitting on the veranda of the house I grew up in with pen and pad in hand—back then, I wrote mostly poetry and haikus. My excitement for writing was realized in 1981, and it continued to grow!
It's important to follow your dreams and use your natural talents, as you are.

How did you get the idea for the story? I got the idea for Buzzzzzzzz What Honeybees Do from being a beekeeper.  But I would like to add to that statement because the book is dedicated to my granddaughter Abigail for a good reason. She came for a visit, and her grandfather took her to the apiary so she could get an idea of what beekeeping was all about and when they got back home, Abigail was full of questions that needed answering. Buzzzzzzzz What Honeybees Do answers her questions.
It's an informative story that children will love and value.
 What age range do you think would enjoy it most? While Buzzzzzzzz is meant for older aged children, I consider it appropriate for all ages. Many adults have told me that they learned things about honeybees, they didn’t know before reading Buzzzzzzzz. 
 I learned new things from it as well, Virginia.     
 Have you gotten comments from some of your readers? Yes, Buzzzzzzzz has many five star reviews on Amazon.com. 
I 'm not surprised you've gotten many impressive reviews for it, congratulations.
   The honeybee story has lots of photos. Did you take them? Yes, I took all the photos in Buzzzzzzzz What Honeybees Do. I also took the photo on the cover of the book.  My second love after writing is nature photography.  
  If you'd like to see some of your photography from your honeybee book, please visit your Instagram account: http://www.virginiawright.com/blog
 What would you most like your readers to remember about Buzzzzzzzz—What Honeybees Do? I would like readers to bear in mind that the honeybee is our greatest pollinator.  And it is important to be good caretakers of these little buzzers.

 Is there anything else you’d like to add? Yes, I would like to add that as a caretaker of this amazing insect, it is important to leave garden space to plant flowers that honeybees enjoy.  If we cut all our grass and don’t plant bee specific plants, where will the honeybees find food to continue surviving?
 I certainly hope children will remember how important the honeybees are.
 Thank you so much for spending time with me today and discussing your fun, educational, story Buzzzzz What Honeybees Do.
You're welcome, Deanie. I enjoyed our time together as well."
     Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/virginia_wright
copyright 2017: Deanie Humphrys-Dunne

*reblogged from dhdunne.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Deanie!!! I hope your readers enjoy my answers to your questions. It was fun. :-) -Virginia Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime, Virginia. I loved having you as my guest. :) Hugs back to you.

    ReplyDelete